1. Personal
  2. /
  3. Savings
  4. /
  5. NID

NID - code

As of 2018, you are better protected when trading securities. If you are a private individual, you will now be required to have an NID code (national client identifier).
en man i en soffa med en laptop och en läsplatta i knät

Register an NID for trading in securities

Who needs an NID and what are the implications?

Individuals who want to buy, sell, participate in or transfer securities need to register an NID. You do not need an NID to trade in mutual fund units. However, trading in exchange-traded funds (ETFs) does require an NID.

The NID code is a global identification code for private individuals, and is contingent on what citizenship(s) you hold. For example, if you are a Swedish citizen, your NID comprises a country code, SE, followed by your civic registration number.  For foreign citizens, or those who are citizens of multiple countries, the NID looks different. The NID is free of charge.

How to obtain your NID

  • If you are a Swedish citizen, your NID consists of your civic registration number followed by your country code. You can easily register it yourself online.
  • If your citizenship is other than Swedish, visit your local branch and we will help you register your NID.

Do you need an LEI?

If you have a company and want to trade in securities, your company also needs a global identification code. For companies, it is called LEI (legal identity identifier)

Read more about LEI